Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Tubular Ubular Ride

Greetings Reader!

It seems like it would be in my best interest to start on a positive note for the first post on this platform, so I will do so. I think most people would agree that they are most comfortable around others when they feel like they can be the most authentic version of themselves. In fact, saying so seems somewhat redundant. Seldom do people enjoy hiding parts of themselves and apologizing for them when they slip out. That kind of tiptoeing is exhausting, unpleasant and lacks any benefit. 

I thought about this the other day when I took a somewhat unorthodox Uber ride. The ride would only be about five minutes, so I just got in as one does. The driver turns around and says, "I just have one question for you...are you ready to have fun?" I usually am, so I said yes. I assumed she was just being enthusiastic and chipper. She pulls out a microphone, looks me straight in the eye and screams, "Uber Karaoke! Do you have a song ready?" Since this has never happened to anyone ever, I did not. She said, "That's okay-- I'll go!" She put on a song that she really did not know all the words to, but sang as much as she did. She was also giving live commentary on the lyrics of the song when didn't know the words, which was hilarious. I was laughing through the entire song, and she belted out the whole thing. I wish that I had had a song prepared because she seemed like the best hype girl an uber client could ever ask for. 

People authentically, unapologetically enjoying themselves is so joyful and wholesome. Having a good time is so much easier when you aren't self conscious about what others will think about you. 

I went to a Young The Giant concert a few weeks ago. During the opening act, I was really digging the opening band. The rest of the crowd was bobbing their heads, but nobody was going too crazy except for one other guy about 15 people to my left. I really wanted to put my arms up and do the rock-out-hand-thing. It took me until the headliner came on and the rest of the crowd was really digging them to be comfortable enough to really jam. I got really frustrated with myself that I was worried about people staring at me when I paid just as much to go to that concert* and there was no reason for me not to jam out other than my discomfort with the stares of strangers. 

I will say this--I am much more comfortable embarrassing myself than the average Joanne. At one of my old jobs, we had to do a little traveling together. Once, while my coworkers and I were walking somewhere, we overheard a stranger say, "Wow! Your belt matches your shoes!" to her friend. So, okay, not that weird. Not even not that weird, it was 100% not weird at all to say that. It was a little whimsical at most. I noticed one of my coworkers shoot her a look. The person on the street didn't notice, but my coworker told us a little about her service to society. She said, "that was weird. You know, whenever people say weird stuff like that I always just give them a look." I grabbed a handful of daisies from a nearby garden to give to her as a token of gratitude for her wisdom and judgement of those below her. It really meant a lot to me that she took time out of her day to make others feel weird and bad about themselves when she had all the time in the world to concern herself with other more important and productive things- counting blades of grass, for example. 

As much as I valued my coworker as my swagger coach**, I definitely enjoyed myself so much more in my uber ride with my goofy, singing driver. I really love doing improv because of this similar vibe that is necessary for a scene to function. In improv, it's so important to say yes to the weirdness. It is vital to add to the peculiarity. "Yes-Anding" is how most improvisers refer to this method***. I never have to apologize for anything I say that might be interpreted by another as strange. Yes-anding is such a better way to treat people than "No-byeing" them. 

I was thinking about this today because I read about yet another tragedy in the news. It made me feel frustrated and I just wished people could be more kind to one another. The example I gave above probably isn't the kind of cruelty that leads to tragedies that make the news, but kindness and patience with others certainly helps remove that sort of rhetoric--or at least decreases it to a degree. 

What I have written may come off as preachy, but such is life. I have been consumed with thought about how exhausting unkind people are and how much time people waste being rude when situations would have been so much more pleasant if everyone involved had been patient as well as kind. It's just a better use of time. I think I have said my piece now. I might be the only one reading this. If so, nice work, dude. You are dope and it's totally okay that you only have dimples on one side of your face. You're killin' it.

~the end~

*I actually paid a little less because I got this girl to sell her ticket to me for less than she originally paid because I am INTIMIDATING and GOOD AT HAGGLING and you should RESPECT ME.

**or cool consultant, if you prefer 

*** I really hope me explaining this doesn't sound pretentious because I know that most people that I know already know what yes-anding it, but I didn't want to leave anyone out I don't even know if anyone will read this sorry DON'T YELL AT ME. 

3 comments: